Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Waka Waka

Waka Waka

I can't believe I leave for Colombia in less than a week.  I'm been feeling several emotions, but up until tonight, I have not felt ready.  Ok, I still don't feel ready, but I definitely feel a large step closer.  I stumbled upon this video, and it inspired me to finally get some work done for my trip:


The first time I used this song was with Peace Players at the United Church of Christ in Aurora, IL.  Peace Players is a camp that instills the values of peace and acceptance through the arts.  Every morning, we started by warming up in a circle to Waka Waka.  I quickly learned how much power this activity can have on a child.  As soon as the song started every morning, the children ran to the circle in eagerness.  I decided to take this warm-up to my OHS Drama Club, and they also love it.  Often times, students even ask for it.  It's always fun to find an activity that transcends throughout all age groups.  (Then again, high school students are small children in awkwardly bodies.)  


Ok, I'm straying from the point, which is THIS:  I can't wait to meet these kids.  AND I can't wait to do the Waka Waka with the them!!  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, and most likely, they will have their own version of the dance they can teach me! 




No comments:

Post a Comment