Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Adios y Hola

El 7 de agosto

Today was a day of transitions full of conflicting emotions.  I resentfully left Bogota and eagerly travelled to Barranquilla.  I am shocked at how warm and accommodating everyone was in Bogota.  I've lived and travelled to several cities outside the U.S., but so far, no one compares to the people of Bogota.  Several people gave up full days to be my personal tour guide in their city.  Two people even welcomed me into their house and cooked me food without asking for anything in return.  According to Gloria, the best people in the world reside in Medellin.  We will see how true she is in less than a week!

After arriving at the airport, I had some time to spare, so I checked one thing off my "To Do" list and bought a beautiful Colombian flag to put in my classroom.  I hope to some day have one flag for each Spanish-speaking country.  

I also bought the most delicious postre de ariquipe:



I'm not sure who enjoyed this more: me or the people watching me make out with it.  When I was done, my inner fat kid started scratching to get out, begging for more.  I'm not joking, it was the best postre I've ever eaten in my life.  I need another one NOW!
. . .

Once I arrived in Barranquilla, I felt a rush of humid heat hit my body.  This time of year, Bogota is very dry and cool.  Barranquilla, on the other hand, is nothing but heat.  

This experience will be completely different than that of Bogota, for more reasons than the heat.  For one, I am alone.  I don't know anyone here, and I am staying in a hostel.  To make things even more interesting (I say "interesting" because I want to stay positive!), there is absolutely no air conditioning in this hostel.  Currently, I'm sitting on the back porch, and there is a nice breeze, now that the sun is down. 


However, as soon as you enter my room, you are hit with another wall of heat.  There is a fan and a window in my room, but the window looks out to a very small enclosed patio that gets no air.  

As I read over what I have already written, I can't help but think of those memes on facebook called "First World Problems."  Really, my life is SO hard.  I'm sitting on a patio with a nice breeze, typing on my MAC, thinking about what song I should use in my next video, and complaining about the heat in a different room, while the majority of shacks I saw from the airport to this hostel definitely don't have air conditioning. 

Another reason this part of my trip will be different is because instead of sight seeing, I will FINALLY be working at Los Pies Descalzos, which is what I have been waiting for since October.  I can't wait to get rid of these two HEAVY bags of donations tomorrow!
. . .

Although I don't know anyone who lives here, I am fortunate to have been put in contact with Angelica Munera who lives in Cartagena.  Angelica just so happens to be staying in Barranquilla until Thursday.  After meeting me at my hostel, Angelica and I took a walk to a nearby pizza place called "Firenze" and shared a delicious Hawaiian pizza. 



. . .

Tomorrow, I have a meeting with the principal of the school at 10:00.  I have been told the school is about 10 minutes away via taxi, so I plan on getting up early, finding a place to have breakfast, and getting to the school without having to rush.  

Send positive thoughts my way!

Adios!
~Quique


    

No comments:

Post a Comment