Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bienvenidos a Colombia!

Well, I made it to Bogota!  Here is my trip thus far:






















Upon my arrival, Jeanette and Nic picked me up at the airport.  (I just realized I haven't said anything about the Cabreras in this blog yet!)  Last year, Jeanette worked as a paraprofessional at OHS.  After getting to know her a bit, I found out she is married to a native Colombian and that their family owns a farm just outside of Bogota.  It took all of one 10-minute conversation to convince me I needed to make Colombia my next destination.  That week, I bought my ticket and started planning this trip.  


And now, I am sitting in the living room of Cecilia (Jeanette's mother-in-law) with Jeanette and her son Nic.  For my time in Bogota, I will be going back and forth from Cecilia's house to Santa Ana (the family farm) with Jeanette and Nic.  


Here is the current view from Cecilia's casa:  







I can't wait to see the city in the daylight!  


















Cecilia made a wonderful dinner (cena) of bistec and platano con bocadillo, which is a mashed plantain with egg and flour formed around a sweet marmalade.  Que rico :)


After la cena, I decided to put my water purifier to the test:



As was Jeanette's recommendation, I made sure to buy this before my travels because of the poor quality of water in Colombia.  Here's what I found:

Tap water before the purifier.  I'm not sure if you can tell, but it's pretty cloudy and yellow!
Same tap water after the purifier.  MUCH BETTER. 

Well, I think it's about time I get some rest before we make our way to the farm in the morning. 

ADIOS!
~Quique

No comments:

Post a Comment